|ARC Review| The Family Across The Street by Nicole Trope

In Nicole's new thriller, this nosy neighbour thought they knew the next-door couple well until their blinds close and the cicadas scream.


Cover design for Family Across The Street edited by Priyanka Patra for Priyanka's Book Gallery


In late June, I came across a house, ominously lit in the background on a teal blue cover. The title appears innocuous. But, behind it, something murky lay that made me curious what this particular book is about. After reading the blurb, I immediately hit the 'request' button. Books like The Woman in the Window, The Couple Next Door, The Guest List, Behind Closed Doors, have fascinated me. When it comes to 'nosy neighbours', this subject instantly attracts one's attention. After all, there are about 9,30,000 results for 'How to deal with nosy neighbours' on Google search. Riveting, isn't it? But, my mind was toward my inbox. I was wishing I get approved because I love a good neighbour trope especially when suspense knocks next door. To my delight, I recieved the approval mail. I checked my digital book shelf, downloaded the copy, drew the blinds and the moment I sat down with this thriller fiction, I couldn't put it down.


The Family Across The Street by Nicole Trope



Title: The Family Across The Street 

Author: Nicole Trope 

Genre: Psychological fiction, Suspense 

Publisher: Bookouture 

Publication date: August 6, 2021 

Where you can buy? Click here

Nicole Trope's The Family Across The Street is a psychological thriller fiction in which seventy-year-old, childless, Gladys think overtly generous toward keeping in check of all her neighbours on Hogarth street. While, her neighbours exactly don't appreciate her 'interfering' concern, despite knowing this, Gladys can't help but wonder where her next door neighbour, Katherine's five-year-old twins are. They usually wave at Gladys and her husband, Lou, when they leave for school. But on that hottest day, something isn't right. Gladys visits Katherine and John's, the beloved but not-so-happy couple's home. When Katherine partially opens the door, not inviting her in, she wishes Gladys could get the urgent message — for once, hoping she understands what is making her hesitate. Logan, a heavily-tattooed delivery driver with a dark past, has his own demons to face. While he reminisces the man he has become after getting released from prison, he reaches Katherine's doorstep. He hopes to deliver the package but when she peers at him, denying her parcel, the strange behaviour makes him sceptical. What is going on in that house? Why Katherine isn't opening her door? More importantly, where John could be if he didn't show up at work?

The beginning hooked me immediately. The first chapter introduces subtly but quickly spirals into chaos that would make readers question, "What's wrong?" As I read on, the narration gripped me. The flow is consistently chilling which will keep you guessing as and where the events lead you. Centrally, the viewpoints are focused on Gladys, Katherine, Logan and a mysterious someone who Katherine knows. The pages move and shift toward each of these characters which will make readers learn about their lives, troubling thoughts and how that particular sweltering day in Sydney upended for them. The suspense will definitely glue you. You may think you know where the plot is heading, but prepared to be wrong. This may not seem as the situations want you to believe. However, as you read, you may find some scenes disturbing. This fiction is not for the faint of heart who cannot endure reading triggering events. Here, I warned you before you consider going for this book. 

About characters, they are all delicately profiled. Their tortured pasts and difficult periods are explicitly captured. They may make you feel so many emotions. Each of them is captivating of their own. I couldn't choose one because their stories are immensely intense. But, a particular passage caught me hard. Here's a little quote from a scene when Gladys looks from her guest bedroom window, 


"One of the blinds twitches a little, and to her amazement, as she watches, two small hands appear holding a white piece of paper."

I finished reading in two days. The pace is fast and eerie. I kept on reading, wanting to know what was going to happen with Katherine and the twins after learning a shocking revelation. Author, Nicole, has cunningly woven a mind-bending fiction. She has intricately laced a structure that would confuse readers and mislead them thinking it is what they are reading is true but actually, it is something else. Her clever writing and pattern of weaving a simple story with tormented characters may give reader a thrilling experience. I would say, those who love to be surprised and read intense scenes without feeling uneasy, this is the novel you shouldn't miss at all. 


P.S. I voluntarily read and reviewed a digital copy of this book which I recieved from the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Note, quote or related content used by me from the book may vary in the published version.


Priyanka Patra is a self-published writer of Upon Me. She lives in Odisha, India with her family in a small town. She has done her MBA in Marketing & HR from Birla Global University in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. She is aiming to write more books especially in fiction genre.




Comments