ARC Review | Let's Talk About Down There: An OB-GYN Answers All Your Burning Questions...without Making You Feel Embarrassed for Asking by Dr. Jennifer Lincoln, OB-GYN

Cover design for Let's Talk About Down There by Jennifer Lincoln edited by Priyanka Patra for Priyanka's Book Gallery


This TikTok gynecologist debunks myths, tackles misinformation and answers all your hush-hush concerns about periods, sex, contraception, pregnancy, STD and much more in her tell-all book.


One night, I shut the bathroom door behind me. My periods was over few days ago but I couldn't understand why, afterward, I see white discharge. That hour, I saw the transperant substance again. I was concerned. I didn't know whether I should ask mom or google, appraising the situation discreet. I heard water running in the kitchen, which means, mom was definitely washing the pots. I thought, "Why don't I try?" I went to mom and reluctantly asked her, "Mom, can I ask you something... personal?" Keeping her eyes focused on the slippery thin scrub pad, she nodded her head. I told her about the white substance and asked if it's normal. She said, "Well, yeah. It's nothing serious. It's just after periods is over, it comes out. Maybe, some of it remains, exiting colourless," I asked her, "What about ovulating? I mean, on google, some say, it may indicate a woman ovulating?" She shook her head and said, "No, i don't think so. It's a different thing." I was only assured that this discharge is normal. But, I wanted to know exactly what is this thing. That's when, while reading the sub-topic, Why Am I Always Wet in Dr. Jennifer Lincoln's new illuminating book for people with vagina, I realized, the relevant question I asked, we knew so little. I asked myself, "Why weren't we educated about this?"

Let's Talk About Down There by Jennifer Lincoln

Title: Let's Talk About Down There: An OB-GYN Answers All Your Burning Questions...without Making You Feel Embarrassed for Asking

Genre: Self-help, Personal growth, Self-esteem, Health & Fitness 

Author: Dr. Jennifer Lincoln, OB-GYN 

Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing 

Publication date: September 14, 2021 

Where you can pre-order? Click here

In Jennifer Lincoln's new book, Let's Talk About Down There: An OB-GYN Answers All Your Burning Questions...without Making You Feel Embarrassed for Asking, the author elucidates highly-asked misconceptions about periods, sex, contraception, sexually transmitted disease (STD), pregnancy and vaginal health that some users on the internet make false claims believably true. This TikTok's famous gynecologist, Jennifer Lincoln, reassures people 'what' we should be aware of and 'which' assumed claims we should certainly dismiss. Like, she discusses about unnecessary intimate care, how vagina is supposed to smell and look, how to tell apart white discharges, awareness of bacterial diseases, how to take care of sex toys, myth about masturbation, how to practice safe sex with tampons or pads, stigma of STD, birth-control devices, pills and its emergency use that we aren't educated on, misinformation about periods, virginity and when to say, "Will I get pregnant? Or am I?" There are much more that Jennifer thoroughly guides our raised concerns with fact-based research while suggesting solutions at the same time and recommends whom to approach when Google, most of the time, cannot coax our panic.

The book is pretty picturesque. Jennifer discusses about numerous topics with pop illustrations that will hook you visually. Narration is marvelously natural. As you read, you will feel like the author is right there, sitting beside you, educating you on intimate and taboo subjects while gently advising you how to deal with it. For some readers, her writing may feel like she is conferring information in TikTok style. Though, the acclaimed gynecologist frankly explains her findings such as bizzare methods that people use to keep their vagina tight and fragrant. It's amusing and shocking to read how people put their beliefs without studying pros and cons. You will also find numerous terminologies pertaining to certain types, forms, categories, benefits and negatives which would help you navigate topics you want to know. However, it's not explained in length. Information is evidenced briefly on point. 

I love how Jennifer has utterly poured her heart and soul in highlighting the minutiae details about vaginal health, periods, sex, contraception, where you can get yourself checked and from whom, more importantly, encouraging to talk openly about respecting your body with your partner. She has carefully and lucidly written a book that will stay with you forever in case, when you feel lost and don't know who you can talk with or feel you cannot share your doubts/problem(s) before making a decision in consulting your gynecologist. Among many things explained, I didn't know how intimate wash can prove harmful, the existence of organic pads, how condoms really should be used, myth about steaming vagina, the correct care for sex toys and like straights and gays, lesbians too can plausibly contract STD. 

Jennifer Lincoln is a board certified obstetrician gynecologist (OB-GYN). She is a practitioner of OB hospitalist and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) in Portland, Oregon. Her upcoming book will empower people in shunning stigmas and shame with concise information. I highly recommend you to get this book. This is a must-have in every bag or on your coffee table. Don't be shy. You will have the power through this book to know your body and health correctly without following untested claims blindly on internet. 

P.S. I voluntarily read and reviewed a digital copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Note, quote or related content used by me from the book may vary in the published version.

Priyanka Patra is a self-published writer of Upon Me. She lives in Odisha, India with her family in a small town. She has done her MBA in Marketing & HR from Birla Global University in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. She is aiming to write more books especially in fiction genre.

Comments

Popular Posts